You are here: Home | Financial Support for Learning

Financial Support for Learning


Financial Support for Learning

The 16-19 Bursary Fund

Get help to pay for essential education-related costs if you’re 16 to 19 at the start of the academic year and in further education or training. You can’t apply if you’re studying at university.

The Bursary Fund can help pay for costs like:

  • equipment you might need for your course
  • lunch
  • transport to and from your school or college

You could get a bursary of £1,200 a year if you’re:

  • in care or a care leaver
  • claiming Income Support or Universal Credit
  • disabled and getting Employment and Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance

If you aren’t in one of these groups, you could still get a bursary depending on your personal circumstances, such as household income. Ask your school, college or training provider’s student support services to see if you’re eligible.

Money for Higher Education

Rates change each year so check GOV.UK. It has the latest information about student finance as well as an online calculator so you can work out what help you will be entitled to.

If you need more help call 0845 300 50 90 to speak to an adviser from Student Finance England. Student Finance England is a one stop shop for anyone who wants to know more about student finance including Disabled Students Allowance.

Disabled Student Allowances

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a:

  • disability
  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance and don’t have to be repaid. How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

You can apply by visiting GOV.UK and completing a DSA1 form, and returning it to Student Finance England

Need advice, support or information on this topic?

You can always talk to a Youth Support Worker:

Want to know more?

GOV.UK - Further information on financial support for learners.

Scholarship Search - Search for scholarships that can be applied for.

16 - 19 Bursary Fund Questions Answered - FAQ about the 16 - 19 Bursary Fund